share this on

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Recovering of Head Covering

Head covering--tradition or something that point towards the order of creation, something that angels also witness?



Many people attribute head covering at church as cultural element. Apostle Paul talks about head covering  for women in 1 Corinthians 11. I don't think that it is a coincidence that apostle Paul talks about head covering before he talks about Lord's Supper/breaking of bread. Breaking of Bread is the symbol of Christ's death on the cross and shedding of His blood. Jesus' death was necessary as it had provided the way for us--sinners--to escape eternal damnation in hell. However, our God not just provided us with the escape from hell, but also with the road to heaven--Jesus is the narrow gate.
So, what role does the head covering play in Christian women's life? You see, woman was the pinnacle of God's creation. The Lord stopped creating, not modifying, after He made Eve. Woman is man's glory. When we worship, we come before God.  Head covering is the symbol of creation order, submission (oh how many people hate this word), and acknowledgement of authority of creation.
I grew up in Russia, Sakhalin Island, city of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. From time to time me and my mom used to go to a church. It was Russian Orthodox church. At the age of 12, few months before turning 13, I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. At the age of 17 I became an exchange student and went to the USA. While there I started living out my Christian life. I was part of Cornerstone Baptist Church. In Septemer 2007 I moved to Canada.
I didn't cover my head during worship until 2010. Here is the testimony of my head covering journey. I started cover my head in church during worship and prayer time. Today I cover my head during Bible Study, praying, singing with the International Gospel Choir of Newfoundland. Head covering changed me a lot. I became more meek, of gentle spirit, long-suffering, and have been more consistent in reading the Bible.
My heart is glad that I am not alone in head covering practice. Ms Kuniko, who is originally from Japan, but now lives in Greece, covers her head also. Jessica, who is from the USA is another example of Bible-fearing woman who covers her head during various forms of worship. There are many more.
Head covering has to play its role--to cover the head. Material style doesn't matter. My head covering type depends on situation: more formal at church, less formal outside church. I remember the day when I consciously placed my head covering on in 2010. The worship experience was more profound. My heart filled with joy, for I was aware of the obedience towards God. Needless to say how many more blessings have been coming my way.
If you would like to learn more about head covering, please visit "Head Covering Movement''. The site contains many references and testimonies.
Many churches just skip the subject of head covering or assign it cultural niche. But if we skip the subject of head covering, what will stop us from ignoring other elements of Paul's teachings?    
Some types of my head coverings

6 comments:

  1. Dear Irina,
    This was a beautiful and well-written article! I agree that many churches today have assigned headcovering a cultural niche; but as you say, it is not cultural, but is a sign of the creation order, submission, acknowledgement of authority, and something which angels witness!

    Thank you for writing about headcovering, and about your own experience. I especially loved the photo of the styles which you use! All three headcoverings in the picture are so pretty!

    I feel very thankful and glad to know you, Irina! Thank you for your many comments on my blog. They truly do encourage and inspire me!
    Your friend,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jessica,
      Thank you for your encouragement. I am glad that you find it helpful. Half of my head coverings are given to me by friends. I love your blog a lot. It also encourages me greatly.
      Your friend,
      Irina

      Delete
  2. Dear Irina,

    Thank you so much for your headcovering testimony. I always cherish your honesty and your willingness to live up to your faith in Christ. You know what, now Sakhalin has become my special place because you were born and brought up there!!

    Irina, with the support of Sanae, I wrote a special article in order to express our deep thanks to all the missionaries who have been serving in Japan.

    As I heard from you that you church has sent several missionaries to Japan, I’d like to link this post here (http://japanesebiblewoman.blogspot.gr/2015/02/the-life-and-faith-of-john-hewitt-1907.html). If you have a chance to contact with them, please send our best regards and thanks to them.

    Your headcoverings are so cute! Have a blessed weedend, Irina. From Kinuko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kinuko,
      Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am glad that you enjoy it. I am so blessed that Western missionaries are still in Japan.
      Irina

      Delete
  3. Dear Irina,thank you for sharing your testimny and showing your covering! I am Sanae.As you know I started to cover my head inspired other sister's testimonies including you,Jessica, Kinuko.This is my first comment on your blog.Also thank you for allowing 'Anonymous' to write.

    As you know Kinuko has also her Japanese blog.She intruduced her and my covering in the article of 12th february 2015.
    If you have interest,please check it.
    (ones on the brown floor are mine.)
    http://christiantestimonies.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-18.html

    I found that in Russia there are beautiful coverings.(scarves). Some shops sells them by mail order also in Japan.
    I want to have it but so expensive in Japan! I always use headbands and sometimes uses scarves in my house.
    When I heard the coutry name Russia, I always remember you.
    I'm also happy to know you. May our God bless your way!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your head coverings they are beautiful. I always welcome comments. God less you,
      Irina

      Delete